Maintaining a Lawn Mower Battery

There are many reasons to maintain your power equipment. Not only will it provide you with long lasting life of the equipment, but it also saves you money in the long run. Every lawn mower requires maintenance and mowers that have a battery in them require just a bit more than the traditional push mower.

Due to the wide variety of batteries that are available today, there’s a good chance that you‘ll have to at least check on your mower battery from time to time.

Every riding lawn mower with an electronic ignition system contains a battery. Even the newer electric push mowers have batteries, unless it’s the older type that requires a power cord be attached while using it. The batteries come in two distinct types for riding lawn mowers.

These are Ni-Cad (Nickel Cadmium) and Lead Acid. Ni-Cad batteries are self-contained and don’t require any maintenance other than making sure the batteries are fully drained before recharging to ensure the proper amount of battery life being maintained. These are great batteries for rechargeable mowers but rarely found on standard riding mowers.

The standard riding mower has a Lead Acid battery in it, much like your car would have, only a lot smaller in size and power output. Because these batteries require acid to cause an electrical charge as it etches into the lead fins in the battery there are a few things that you need to be aware of.

First, safety should always be the first point when dealing with these batteries. The Hydrochloric Acid that is inside the battery is highly corrosive and can cause severe acid burns to your skin if you’re not careful. If you get acid on your skin, flush it with water immediately.

To maintain a Lead Acid battery you need to make sure the vent hole is clear. This allows Hydrogen to escape from the battery casing. Next, you need to make sure the lead fins are just covered with water. If you can clearly see the fins, you need to add Distilled Water so that the fins are just submerged.

Never use tap water as the minerals can have a chemical reaction with the acid, causing it to explode or boil over.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.